One of my favorite things EVER if Buffalo ANYTHING! Maybe it's my Southern Roots or maybe because it's the most delicious thing EVER!! Am I right?
People who know me now would be SHOCKED to find out that when I was on tour---- I used to find the closest wing joint to where ever I happened to be----skip excitedly in, and quickly devour the plate in front of me. Usually order a second round & gulping down a sweet tea between sips. Leaving of course... feeling bloated, heavy, & wanting to find the nearest couch or bed to take a nap.
Since my vegan & gluten-free lifestyle shift (no, I don't have a diet. It's a fabulous flavor-filled life. :-)), and the fact that I don't like (or recommend) process fake meats... I am always on the search for delicious sub-ins of my former favorites without the guilt.
After one of my favorite restaurants in LA (Sage Organic Vegan) debuted their infamous V/GF Buffalo Cauliflower... MY HEAD EXPLODED!!!! I thought this would be too difficult to make at home... that I would never find the flavor balance and/or get the ridiculous crispy outside that they has so perfectly mastered.
Well, friends... we have UNLOCKED the secret!!! Low Carb & Protein Rich (thank you, chickpea flour), Twice Baked (no frying!!!), & all natural!
JFL is proud to present....
CRISPY BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER
- 1 Head Cauliflower, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- ½ c garbanzo flour
- ½ c water
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp himilayan sea salt
- 1 tsp coconut oil, melted
- 2/3 c wing sauce (We like something Spicy. Make sure you check label for allergens & fake dyes)
- Organic Celery, cut for dipping
- Organic Carrots, cut for dipping
- Ranch (We like Primal Kitchen Ranch) This contains eggs*
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a medium sized bowl combine flour, water, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder & sea salt… Whisk until smooth.
2. Throw cauliflower into bowl and toss in batter, coating each piece completely.
3. Place cauli on a well-greased (we used coconut oil spray from Trader Joe’s), nonstick baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping at the 12 minute mark.
4. Then, in a large bowl… combine wing sauce & melted coconut oil. Continue to stir intermittently , so it doesn’t harden. (if you’re in a colder climate, you might want to do this in a sauce pan on low heat, since coconut oil hardens below a certain temp)
5. Once cauli is done, remove it from oven and toss it in wing sauce mixture.
6. Place cauli back onto the baking sheet and cook for an additional 25 minutes. (This is a great time to cut up carrots & celery for dipping alongside your cauli!!!)
7. Crank up your oven to broil, and crisp up for an additional 2-4 minutes…Or until Crispy. (If already crispy after Step 6, you can skip this)
8. Serve with cut organic celery & carrots & Ranch
9. Prep your mind for a party in yo’ mouth.
Best served immediately.